Scrambled Eggs – More Than Just An Emergency DinnerPresident's Blog
You might be surprised to know that scrambled eggs are often the first step towards gastronomic delights at my dinner table. Oh sure, there are nights when I barely have the energy or time to put much more than a few scrambled eggs on my plate and call it dinner. But, more often than not, scrambled eggs are the “culinary superstar” of my dinner plans.
I have many fun and creative recipes that use scrambled eggs. I don’t think of them only as my quick-to-cook meal on busy nights. Instead, I plan meals around them as the ‘protein portion’ of my plate – the same way you may plan meals around chicken, steak or pork.
Today I’m going to share my five favourite scrambled egg dinner ideas. But first, here’s a tip on how I determine if my meal is balanced. I try to keep Health Canada’s Eat Well Plate in mind:
If I stick to this plate model, I know we will get enough protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals from our dinners. Eggs are part of the ‘Meat and Alternatives’ portion of the plate. So, I always pair scrambled eggs with lots of vegetables, and some type of whole grain.
Here are five of my very favourite scrambled egg recipes, that turn dinner into a five star meal!
1. One of the current favourites with my children is Scrambled Vegetarian Hash Brown Pizza , which includes potatoes, black beans, eggs and vegetables in a fun pizza-shaped format. It’s such a unique way to take pizza night to a new level. I add a side salad with toasted almonds and balsamic vinaigrette to round out the meal. Bye-bye take out!
2. Do you enjoy smoked salmon? Another favourite dinner of mine are crêpes topped with fluffy scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, chopped fresh dill, and a few salty capers. I usually serve this with some of steamed asparagus or a side salad. It’s delicious and elegant. Try this recipe for Smoked Salmon and Dill Crêpes .
3. My family loves Indian spices – colourful turmeric and aromatic garam masala (a mix of cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon and other spices). I add these flavours to scrambled eggs that are cooked in ghee (clarified butter) with sautéed onions and ginger. These North Indian-Style Scrambled Eggs are next level. I like to serve this dish with cauliflower, whole grain naan, and a yogurt-cucumber raita.
4. I have to admit that I have a soft spot for pizza and our Pizz-oma-dilla is one of my favourites. A mash-up of pizza, omelettes and quesadillas, this recipe is the perfect time-crunched dinner solution.
5. Pasta night is elevated to new heights with the addition of scrambled eggs. Try our recipe for Rotini & Rapini Pasta Scramble . The combination of bitter rapini, salty Parmesan and spicy red pepper flakes gets all of your taste buds firing. It’s so delicious!
Eggs are the perfect protein option to fill one-quarter of the plate, and you can build a whole meal around them. By remembering the Eat Well Plate, you can turn scrambled eggs into an exciting, tempting dinner that everyone will love!
President, Burnbrae Farms
Encouraging News about Eggs & Diabetes
Here at Burnbrae Farms, we’re always following the news about diabetes, specifically because the research on egg consumption for people with diabetes is always evolving. We want to ensure we share the most up-to-date, scientific and accurate information. Here’s what we know so far.
Five Easy Ways To Add Protein To Your Meal
As Canada’s Food Guide suggests, it’s important to ensure that you fill a quarter of your plate with protein at every meal. Many people hear the word ‘protein’ and immediately think of a nice juicy steak (yum). But that’s not the only way to fill your plate! Here are five protein-rich foods that I often put on my plate. These are all complete proteins, which means they carry all of the amino acids that your body requires for proper functioning.