Scrambled Eggs – More Than Just An Emergency DinnerPresident's Blog
You might be surprised to know that scrambled eggs are often the first step towards gastronomic delights at my dinner table. Oh sure, there are nights when I barely have the energy or time to put much more than a few scrambled eggs on my plate and call it dinner. But, more often than not, scrambled eggs are the “culinary superstar” of my dinner plans.
I have many fun and creative recipes that use scrambled eggs. I don’t think of them only as my quick-to-cook meal on busy nights. Instead, I plan meals around them as the ‘protein portion’ of my plate – the same way you may plan meals around chicken, steak or pork.
Today I’m going to share my five favourite scrambled egg dinner ideas. But first, here’s a tip on how I determine if my meal is balanced. I try to keep Health Canada’s Eat Well Plate in mind:
If I stick to this plate model, I know we will get enough protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals from our dinners. Eggs are part of the ‘Meat and Alternatives’ portion of the plate. So, I always pair scrambled eggs with lots of vegetables, and some type of whole grain.
Here are five of my very favourite scrambled egg recipes, that turn dinner into a five star meal!
1. One of the current favourites with my children is Scrambled Vegetarian Hash Brown Pizza , which includes potatoes, black beans, eggs and vegetables in a fun pizza-shaped format. It’s such a unique way to take pizza night to a new level. I add a side salad with toasted almonds and balsamic vinaigrette to round out the meal. Bye-bye take out!
2. Do you enjoy smoked salmon? Another favourite dinner of mine are crêpes topped with fluffy scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, chopped fresh dill, and a few salty capers. I usually serve this with some of steamed asparagus or a side salad. It’s delicious and elegant. Try this recipe for Smoked Salmon and Dill Crêpes .
3. My family loves Indian spices – colourful turmeric and aromatic garam masala (a mix of cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon and other spices). I add these flavours to scrambled eggs that are cooked in ghee (clarified butter) with sautéed onions and ginger. These North Indian-Style Scrambled Eggs are next level. I like to serve this dish with cauliflower, whole grain naan, and a yogurt-cucumber raita.
4. I have to admit that I have a soft spot for pizza and our Pizz-oma-dilla is one of my favourites. A mash-up of pizza, omelettes and quesadillas, this recipe is the perfect time-crunched dinner solution.
5. Pasta night is elevated to new heights with the addition of scrambled eggs. Try our recipe for Rotini & Rapini Pasta Scramble . The combination of bitter rapini, salty Parmesan and spicy red pepper flakes gets all of your taste buds firing. It’s so delicious!
Eggs are the perfect protein option to fill one-quarter of the plate, and you can build a whole meal around them. By remembering the Eat Well Plate, you can turn scrambled eggs into an exciting, tempting dinner that everyone will love!
President, Burnbrae Farms
Egg-cellent Holiday Appetizer Ideas
No matter the season or holiday, you can always find a perfect appetizer featuring eggs from the Burnbrae Farms recipe ...
The Importance of Eggs During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is such a special time for soon-to-be-mommas. I remember being pregnant with my daughter, who is now almost 16 years old, and being so excited about becoming a new mother. I wanted to do everything right for my baby and bought the giant pregnancy books available at the time and read them religiously. I remember early on being advised by my friend, who is a doctor, to start taking multi-vitamins specifically for pregnant women to ensure that I was getting enough B vitamins and other nutrients critical for my developing child. I was grateful for the advice and eager to learn anything I could to help me on my new adventure with my baby.