Eggs – The Ultimate Convenience FoodPresident's Blog
Hi, my name is Margaret Hudson, my family owns and operates Burnbrae Farms and has been farming since 1891. I am passionate about nutrition and health and of course eggs! I am excited to share some of my learnings from almost 30 years of working in our family’s egg business and a lifetime of being around our farm. If you have enjoyed receiving this information and would like to receive more posts, please sign up in the link at the bottom of the page for our company newsletter.
Like many of you, I’m a working parent that’s always looking for convenient ways to make life a little bit easier. I’m always on the lookout for any smart nutrition shortcuts that save time, but still allow my family to be happy and healthy. As you might guess, I often turn to eggs.
Eggs are perfectly balanced on the scale of convenience and nutrition. They are quick to cook; allow for a wide variety of uses; come in ready-made versions; and add protein, vitamins and minerals to the diet.
Here are eight of my favourite ways to make quick and convenient meals using eggs.
1. Breakfast on the go: I want to make sure we get protein at breakfast, so I use EGG Bakes ! Egg Patties, which are ready in just 75 seconds. I roll one in a whole grain tortilla and top with a little lettuce and salsa and I’m out the door.
2. Hard boil ‘em: Did you know that hard-boiled eggs can stay fresh in the fridge for up to one week? Boil a dozen on the weekend and they will be handy all week long. Quickly make devilled eggs, grate them into salads, make your favourite egg salad or pack one with your lunch. Don’t have time to cook and peel hard boiled eggs? Stock up on EGGS2go!
3. Change it up: Sometimes quick, convenient meals get played out for being on constant repeat. So, just add eggs. No, really! Try eggs on pizza , with pasta , in a wrap , whirled in soup , on a portobello burger or baked in avocados . What was old is suddenly new again – and still so easy!
4. Skip the drive thru: Make your breakfast sandwich at home with EGG Bakes! Toast a whole wheat English muffin, top with an EGG Bakes! Whole Egg or Egg White Patty, cheese, baby spinach and a slice of tomato. Done. For the complete recipe, click here .
5. The 10 minute dinner: It recently read that the average Canadian spends 38 minutes making dinner. While I have that luxury some evenings, other nights are a more realistic rush from work to after-school activities. That leaves just 10 minutes to make dinner. I use Egg Creations for quick scrambled eggs (I don’t even need to crack eggs or wash a bowl!), and pair it with whole grain toast and a green salad.
6. Salad as a meal: My favourite salad – the Niçoise Egg & Potato Salad – takes just 15 minutes to make. I use EGGS2go! hard-boiled eggs, and make a simple dressing from Dijon, lemon and olive oil. It’s a full meal in a bowl, with tons of protein from eggs and tuna, carbs from tomatoes, and lots of fresh veggies.
7. Tote to work: Do you bring your lunch to work? If you get bored of sandwiches, try a salad paired with an EGG Bakes! Crustless Quiche!
Hopefully you can add some of these tips your meal planning, and enjoy nutritious, convenient meals.
Margaret Hudson, President Burnbrae Farms
You may not think about the link between eye health and eating, but maintaining healthy eyes really starts with what’s on your plate. Whole foods contain a host of different nutrients that help reduce the risk of age-related vision problems such as AMD. These nutrients may also protect against other eye diseases, such as cataracts and diabetic retinopathy.